Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Russia day 9

Day 9
- Amber Museum
- Submarines and boats

Have I mentioned that Kaliningrad has amber? Oh cause it does. There is this cute little amber museum in the city thats got some pretty awesome stuff in there! And would you just look at the outside of it!? 


 The museum tells you all about the history of amber, and slowly gets more and more creative with what is done with it. Theres even some cool/gross stuff like this to enjoy...
 Look at that adorable mom of mine! But look even closer at the details in this piece! The little landscape scenes are etched in there...are you kiddin me?! sheesh. 
 Good lookin mirror if I do say so myself

 Radio... I mean come on

 Here is a tiny replica of one of the walls in the Amber Room in
Catherine's Palace in Pushkin....Look familiar? :) 
 Peter the First. My man
 I'm really just obsessed with these details in all of these! 
 This ship is my favorite thing in the museum!! It is simply incredible
 people! zoom in and check out that detail! Woooowwwiieeeee
 Really gettin his Russian on, this dad of mine. 
 
We did a little amber shopping in the little shops outside. Found myself a nice ring or two and mom got a cute necklace! Now we've got a bit of K-grad to go with us wherever we go :)
Also- how adorable is dad?! Go Vols
 Super Snickers. Need I say more!? 
 We headed down to the southern part of the city and walked across the big bridge going over the water/river that comes in from the port. In the background you can see the dreamy cathedral and "fishing village" that has more of a German feel and is just too cute. 
 Looking on the other side is the port and all of the big ol' boats, ships, and a submarine we were about to go check out! 
 Oh- further down the road is a better shot of the cathedral. Bummsies we weren't on the other side/ on the grounds to get a better look... But this is great too! 
 Here are some little individual submarines just out for display.
Gosh I cannot even imagine being in one of these things. The worst.
 I'd rather go in the big submarine! Well...only for a little tour, then i'm outta there! I can't imagine living in one of those suckers
 Right as you walk in you see these torpedo shafts!
Oh and it's hard to see - but on the top left there is a model of the first submarine- looks like a wooden barrel cause it basically was just that. 

 Cute Kody climbin through the "door"

 "What are you....sinking about?"
 Mom climbin up the ladder to look out from the periscope!


 Seriously this thing was way too much fun to play with. 
 Theres my city!! The Cathedral on the left, and the big ol ship right in front of us.
Isn't this shot amazing?! 

 Kody makin friends

 I just love it when you see translations like this. :) 


 We headed over to this next ship, unfortunately the inside was closed, but we could go into a few rooms and all of the decks. 
 This cute guy was showing us the navigation room and was just so excited to teach us what each thing did. 

 Capitan Phillips

or is he steam boat Willy? 

 The last boat we went on was a little fishing boat. Not as excited as the others, but would ya just look at that captain?! Woooweee
 My loves


 I was so sad to leave Kaliningrad, but we had to hop on a plane back to St. Petes for the night.
Mom and dad will be heading back home tomorrow morning and Kody and I will 
fly to Munich Germany! It's really good to have this second section of the trip to look forward to so i'm not so sad to leave Russia...OH well and we will have 2 of our last days in St. Petersburg before we fly home. So everything is great.
Anyway- now you can all confidently agree that St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad are the greatest cities ever, and you can better understand my complete obsession.
I am so grateful I've had this chance to show my sweet Kody and my parents this part of the world that is so so precious to me.
This is just a dream come true


4 comments:

Brooke said...

Linds, it's official. You are the cutest ever! Did I mention I am absolutely loving this??

Woods said...

Finally got to see the amber! The details on that ship boggled my mind, thats unbelievable!

Shayla said...

I finally got around to reading all your posts about Russia! It sounds just amazing! You give so much detail it makes me feel like I'm actually there! Can't wait to hear more!

Karen Wood said...

Definitely a dream come true!! Thanks for sharing Russia with us. I'm glad you get to spend a few more days there at the end of your trip.